First Team Match Report -Bowdon 29-12 Ormskirk

Posted by: Monty on Friday, December 4th, 2009

TWO second half tries crushed Ormskirk’s hopes of causing a major upset on Saturday as the Green Lane men lost 29-12 at league leaders Bowdon.

Three penalties and a drop-goal from John Armstrong had given Ormskirk a 12-9 lead at half-time but the home side scored 20 unanswered points in the second period.

The final score flattered Bowdon as Ormskirk dominated for long periods of the match although crucially squandered their few try scoring opportunities while the home-side were ruthless in their attacking play.

Having recalled experienced forwards Paul Kearney and Paul Rowley to the starting line-up, Ben Davies’ side started brightly, gaining the upper-hand over Bowdon’s larger pack.

With the match played in waterlogged conditions, it was never going to be a day for free-flowing rugby and Ormskirk were content with keeping the ball tight and driving the opposition back for much of the first-half.

James Morgan and Andy Wilson gained valuable yards while the persistent Glyn Roberts was a constant thorn in the side of Bowdon’s pack.

Each time Ormskirk ventured into attacking territory, John Armstrong slotted three points although a Bowdon try late in the first-half reduced Ormskirk’s lead.

But with the forwards dominating in the loose and competing well in the scrum for the first time in recent weeks, Bowdon’s un-beaten home record looked to be danger.

Another bonus for Ormskirk was the impressive performance of Andy Croft, making his debut at inside-centre.

Croft teamed up well with fellow centre John Curley and fly-half Armstrong, making a host of crunching tackles in the midfield.

In the second-half, two Bowdon penalties meant Ormskirk found themselves trailing for the first time in the match and in need of a try to restore their lead. Scrum-half Mark Essex had the away side’s best chance as he broke through the first line of defence only to fall agonisingly a few yards from the try line.

And as Ormskirk pushed harder and committed more men to their attacking play, Bowdon capitalised on some fortuitous refereeing decisions to score two break-away tries to end the match as a contest.

The final stages became scrappy as the playing conditions deteriorated and Ormskirk could not breakdown the Bowdon defence to capture a consolation try. Despite the scoreline, Ben Davies will have been impressed by his side’s commitment in difficult conditions and the strength of the forward pack bodes well for the upcoming months.

This Saturday Ormskirk will be looking to return to winning ways as Winnington Park are the visitors to Green Lane. Kick off 2.30pm and all support will be warmly welcome.

Filed under: Announcements

Post a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Bad Behavior has blocked 145 access attempts in the last 7 days.